Goodman Dentistry provides ideas to prevent or correct bad breath.
Try the following simple solutions to bad breath. If the problem continues, make an appointment with us at 718-448-3366 to determine its source. Sometimes the problem is caused internally, and if so, we will refer you for medical care instead.
- Brush and floss your teeth twice a day. Remember to brush the tongue, cheeks and the roof of the mouth.
- Keep a toothbrush and toothpaste at work for a quick brush before meetings.
- Chew sugar-free gum after meals to wash away food particles that get stuck between teeth and cause odors.
- Spicy foods, such as onions and garlic, and coffee can be detected on a person’s breath for up to 72 hours after digestion. Try avoiding them.
- There is some evidence that stabilized chlorine dioxide mouth rinses are effective in controlling bad breath. Examples are ProFresh, and Closys. The chlorine dioxide neutralizes the volatile sulfur compounds caused by by products of the bacteria in your mouth.